BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Saturday - Olmsted Parks

After I was rained out from the market, the afternoon shaped up to be quite beautiful! I was able to take in a bike ride that led me to explore quite an interesting place. Olmsted Park's is part of a park system where Shakespeare in the Park takes place.

 

A brief history: “Fredrick law Olmsted believed parks were places where city dwellers could enjoy scenery designed to ‘refresh and delight the eye, and through the eye, the mind and spirit.’This philosophy inspired Buffalo’s park and parkway system-a wealth of cultural gems that sparkle in virtually every neighborhood. In Buffalo, Olmsted created the first of its kind—and interconnected park system that is not listed on the National Register of History Places.”
This first took me to a spiral ramp I needed to bike up to be able to access the bridge to cross the busy I190. The other side was another spiral ramp, taking me down a hill towards the river wih three beautiful aquaduct tunnels.
 

 

I also came across this awesome statue just like Michelangelo's David! But Buffalo's very own!
 

Once I was down by the water I counted SEVEN bridal parties taking pictures! I was in a whirlwind! lol
What a wonderful day & bike ride!

0 comments: